An excellent stand-by recipe for those pre-dinner savouries, picnics, Book Club meetings and so on.
120 g SPAR cake flour (250 ml)
125 g SPAR butter or margarine
125 g SPAR cheddar cheese, grated (250 ml)
1 pouch SPAR pitted green manzanilla olives
6 peppadews (baby sweet peppers), quartered
1. Pre-heat oven to 180 ° C. Lightly coat a large baking tray with baking spray.
2. Tip the olives into a sieve, and set aside over a bowl, for the brine to drain off thoroughly.
3. Squeeze a slice of peppadew through the wider hole of each olive, to completely fill each centre.
4. Combine the flour, butter and cheese by hand, or in a food processor, to obtain a smooth ball of dough.
5. Pinch off small amounts of pastry and enclose a stuffed olive in it, rolling gently on the worktop to achieve a ball the size of a large marble.
6. Bake the balls spaced apart, on the prepared baking tray, in the pre-heated oven for 15 minutes.
7. Lift using an egg lifter after a few minutes of cooling.
8. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Hints and tips: Swop the peppadew for finely shredded biltong when stuffing the olives, to add a meaty flavour twist surprise.
If using your hands to rub the dough ingredients together, grate the cold butter or margarine block directly onto the flour, using a cheese grater. The rubbing in process is so much easier then.
Do not roll the dough layer around the olive too thickly, or it will not bake through well.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Recommended wine: sherry or wine
Visit http://www.spar.co.za/Recipes/ for more great recipes.