Burry Stander trial: latest development ‘frustrates’ family and friends

Share the news!!!

Share on facebook
Share on whatsapp
Share on twitter
Share on pinterest
Share on email

The trial of taxi driver Njabulo Nyawose, accused of causing the death of Olympic cyclist Burry Stander, has again been postponed by the Port Shepstone Magistrate’s Court: a  development described by close family members and friends as ‘highly frustrating.’

Natasha Ramkisson-Kara of the National Prosecuting Authority said on Wednesday the attorney who represented Nyawose had sent a colleague who told the court  he was sick and wouldn’t be available.

The trial was then postponed to May 28 and 29.

Nyawose is out on a warning.

Twenty-five-year-old Stander, who had been a sports icon because of his world-class performances, was cycling in Shelly Beach when he was struck by a minibus taxi driven by Nyawose on 3 January last year.

A culpable homicide charge was provisionally dropped against him in July pending a decision by the Director of Public Prosecutions.

An alternative charge of reckless or negligent driving was reinstated soon afterwards.

Stander was fifth in the men’s cross-country cycling race at the 2012 London Olympics.

At the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing he finished 15th in the cross-country event.

SAPA

Leave a Reply