By Johan Pretorius
The Southbroom Tennis Club has undergone a complete transformation over the past six months, ending in a celebratory function last Thursday at which the club’s flag was officially hoisted to mark the occasion. Chairlady Luise Mohr welcomed the guests, which included Ray Nkonyeni Mayor Cynthia Mqwebu, chairlady of the Southbroom Conservancy, Anne Skelton, and several other well known long-time residents and dignitaries.
Luise expressed her sincere gratitude to everybody who contributed to making the renovations possible. She informed the guests that the resident coach would be involved, and help from both Lotto and the Roger Federer Foundation would be sought to help the club to, amongst other things, introduce tennis to previously disadvantaged children.
MC Rolf Gudegast, whose wife Sylvia was heavily involved in the planting of the grounds, gave an overview of the history of the club, which is situated on municipal property. In November last year he and fellow-members decided that the club desperately needed a face-lift, and a campaign for donations was begun, which initially yielded R3 000. Over the next months the campaign was stepped up, and the renovations, including a new roof over a patio, was done in stages. Rolf estimated the total cost to be in the region of R130 000, all contributed by members and other donors.
The Southbroom Tennis Club was started with one court in the 1940’s, in 1975 another court was added, two years later the clubhouse was built, and the eighties brought the addition of a third court. Today the clubhouse and courts are as immaculate as can be, and a shining example of what can be achieved if, as Mayor Mqwebu pointed out, people decided to do things for themselves and worked together in partnership.
The photo gallery gives a pictorial overview of the function to celebrate the renovation of the Southbroom Tennis Club, and some of the attendees.