Share the news!!!

Share on facebook
Share on whatsapp
Share on twitter
Share on pinterest
Share on email

The accused appeared in the Port Shepstone Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday (19th) for their bail hearing.

Two men, Reevek Ramlall (35) and Durell Govender (24) of Oslo Beach are facing charges of attempted murder after they allegedly drove over Vishay Singh (22) outside his residence in Palmview.

On January 11, both the accused were arrested and transported to Westville Prison where they were kept in custody awaiting their bail application.

The accused appeared in the Port Shepstone Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday (19th) for their bail hearing.

Family members of both the accused as well as the complainant were present in the courtroom.

Application for bail was served before Magistrate Thandeka Fikeni, who is due to make her final decision today (21st).

In their sworn affidavits, both the accused denied the allegations against them and stated that they had no previous convictions, nor were they flight risks.
The warrant officer was called upon on behalf of Detective Sergeant Mariette Smith as a witness of the state.

He stated that he did not believe it was in the interests of justice for the accused to be released on bail, based on various points set out in the Criminal Procedure Act 51 of 1997 (CPA).

He referred to Sections 60 and 65 of the CPA and asked that the court take into consideration the degree of violence used, as well as undermining public peace, should the accused be released on bail.

On January 9 at around 11pm, Mr Singh was allegedly driven over by two vehicles outside his residence.

According to his family, Mr Singh sustained serious injuries including multiple fractures, brain damage and internal bleeding.

Mr Singh serves in the South African National Defence Force (SANDF) and had returned home for a short visit.

Captain Petros Mpinge confirmed that he had been admitted to hospital after the incident and was in serious condition.

Mr Singh’s sister, Vashna Moolchand said that he had since been moved to a private hospital by the military where doctors are running tests and scans.

She said that the doctors have advised them to remain strong and to continue praying for his recovery.

Mrs Moolchand added that there has been no improvement in her brother’s condition and that they were still waiting for him to open his eyes and regain consciousness.

Meanwhile, concerned members of the family, joined by others in the community, peacefully picketed outside the Port Shepstone Magistrate’s Court, awaiting the bail decision.

“We are here to show our support to the family during this difficult time and hope that justice will be served,” said a relative.


Article written by: Danielle Naidoo

Photo credit: Burger Husyer Attorneys


Leave a Reply