News 24 reports that the National Defence Force has denied tat South African soldiers were fighting with rebel forces in the Democratic Republic of the Congo ( DRC ).
A spokesman said “over the past 36 hours there have been various reports coming through various sources, and we would like to put it on record that there have been no SANDF engagements in the eastern DRC with rebels.”
The Times Live web site reported on Tuesday that soldiers of Six Infantry Batallion had been deployed in the DRC in a United Nations “intervention brigade” and were in the middle of a “very intense firefight.”
News 24 says it reported that the brigade consisted of 2069 soldiers, of whom 850 were South African, and fell under the authority of the UN’s broader 19 000 strong Monusco peacekeeping mission in the Congo. According to the report, Lieutenant Colonel Felix Prosper Basse, a spokesperson for the Monusco force, said on Monday that the South Africans were “in the middle” of the fierce fighting around Goma, the provincial capiyal.