Here is a novel twist on the Classic, served as a dessert. With the help of a food processor, it is a cinch to prepare!
- 240g SPAR cake flour (500ml)
- 125g SPAR full fat margarine
- 75ml SPAR icing sugar
- 3 large SPAR eggs, separated
- 10ml vanilla essence
- finely grated zest of a lemon
- 25ml cold water
- 500g jar lemon curd
- 125ml SPAR castor sugar
- 15ml corn flour
- 5ml SPAR white vinegar
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C. Lightly grease a 30-33cm diameter pizza pan.
- In a food processor with the mixing blade in position, mix the flour, margarine and icing sugar together thoroughly. Add the egg yolks, essence, lemon zest and water through the chute while mixing, to achieve a firm ball of dough that forms away from the bowl sides.
- Press the dough evenly into the prepared pizza pan.
- Spread the lemon curd across the entire base.
- Rinse and dry out the processor bowl, and insert the whisking attachment into the processor.
- Whisk the egg whites until just beginning to form stiff peaks. Gradually add the sugar, beating well between each addition. When glossy firm white peaks are achieved, beat in the corn flour and vinegar.
- Drop amounts of this meringue across the lemon curd layer, and using small dragging-strokes with a fork, spread the meringue to cover the entire surface, but being careful not to lift the curd and spoil the appearance.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Set aside. Serve at room temperature.
- Slice into pizza-like wedges for serving, and lift them out gently using a broad egg-lifter.
Hints and Tips
- Do not slice until completely cool, to prevent the meringue shrinking away from the cuts.
- Without a food processor, rub the margarine into the flour using your hands and proceed with adding the other ingredients by hand too. Bring together to a ball of dough. Whisk the meringue with an electric hand-held beater in a bowl.