With just three weeks to go to the Burry Stander Sardine Trail Run and Mountain Bike Classic at Port Edward Holiday Resort, here are seven reasons why you have to be there on the weekend of 5-6 July.
1. You can make a family weekend or holiday out of it. There are many activities to do before and after you have finished the event. Go to www.southernexplorer.co.za and www.southcoasttourism.co.za to find out more.
2. You will be supporting a number of good causes. The main beneficiary is The Burry Stander Foundation – an advocacy to improve road safety for all mountain bikers and pedestrians using the roads to train or commute. Your participation will also reach the local primary school and conservancy groups, Crags View Wild Care Centre and the NSRI.
3. You get to challenge your riding skills on some of the best single-track in one of the most spectacular settings in South Africa. The course has been set by professional trail builder Jan Abbott. The 40km Classic competitors will enjoy new switchbacks on Crags View Wild Care Centre and on the fast downhill section just after passing the ever-popular Beaver Creek Coffee Estate and could become the “King of the Mountain” at Clearwater Café.
4. You can score “points”. The event is part of the Quattro ROAG Series, so if you have been attending each event you have been able to gain points that will put you in line to receive an award at the end of the series (if you are in the top 25).
5. You may be seen on TV! (and YouTube). SuperSport is back to film the well-loved event, which will be televised on SuperSport (dates and times TBA). The event will also be captured by a professional videography team, who will prepare unbelievable footage that you will be able to view and share on various social media platforms.
6. You will definitely have some fun! There is something for the whole family; from the 40km/20km MTB and 20km/10km trail run competitive events to the 10km MTB fun ride (recommended for seven years upwards), scooter dash (for 2-6 year olds) and the guided walk around Arbour Glade/Tragedy Hill and onto the beach.
7. There are fantastic prizes to be won! Prizes range from professional bicycle equipment to unique trophies, vouchers, hampers, accommodation packages and substantial cash prizes for each category.
To enter and for more information, go to http://roag.co.za/enter-an-event/mtb/sardine-classic.aspx or phone 086 100 7624 (to enter) or 083 549 6710 (general enquiries).