South Coast Warriors make a statement

Share the news!!!

Share on facebook
Share on whatsapp
Share on twitter
Share on pinterest
Share on email

Quintin van Jaarsveld

The Riversmead South Coast Warriors bounced back from their defeat to Hillcrest when they skinned Jaguars 50-7 at Douglas Mitchell Sports Grounds on Thursday evening.

The visitors endured the backlash of a fired-up Warriors side, who were out to make a statement following their first loss of the First Division season the previous weekend.

The Uvongo-based club’s Under-20s kicked off the action against Crusaders on Wednesday night.

The young Warriors got off to a solid start which saw them do all of the playing against a highly-motivated Crusaders side.

Despite this, the Warriors trailed 14-0 at half-time.

Chasing the game was made even tougher when the Warriors lost two key players – Jacques “Pitbull” Gous and Siya Cele – through injury.

Sanalela Ndlazi and KV Vatyela scored converted tries for the hosts, but Crusaders came away with a 31-14 win.

Unfortunately for them, the home side were guilty of making errors at critical phases of the game. Furthermore, their discipline let them down, they failed to find touch when they needed to and they’ll need to fine-tune their lineout work.

Having said that, they showed huge commitment and character as they kept fighting and forced the visitors to work hard for every point.

Vatyela and Lwazi Madiba both had an excellent game and were awarded with the Man of the Match awards.

Thursday night’s first XV clash between the Warriors and Jaguars was one-way traffic from the get-go.

Back at home, the Warriors led 26-0 at half-time and showed no mercy in the second stanza as they romped to a 50-7 bonus-point victory.

They ran in eight tries in all; Brandt Fields and Dawie Durheim each bagged a brace, with Brendon Rademeyer, Lunga Madlala, Lourens Stapelberg and Juandre Koekemoer also crossing the whitewash.

Arnold Kruger kicked four conversions and Martinus Viljoen added another to make it an even 50.

Man of the Match honours went to Tian Malherbe (forwards) and the red-hot Rameez Allie (backline).

“It’s a good win. It’s about time we put some big points up,” Warriors captain Chris Mitchell told eHowzit.

“After the Hillcrest game, there was a lot of heads that were down, so we had to put up a big score to prove to ourselves that we are a better team.

“What I’m most pleased with is our defence for sure. Their only try came in extra time. It was a scrappy game with lots of loose ball and the defence still held strong.”

The second team also claimed a convincing win, running out 33-5 victors.

They already had the game in the bag by half-time. Their defence was really tested in the last 15 minutes, but the Warriors were rock solid.

Fullback Spider Ndlazi ran holes through the Jaguars backline en route to his hat-trick in a backline Man of Match performance.

Nick Potonas and Sam Nkwentsha also dotted down while Marcus Botha slotted four conversions.

Douglas Strachan scooped the forwards Man of Match award.

“This was an excellent performance, the best so far this year. I’m very proud of the boys; they really showed guts,” commented coach Gromingo Mzunga.

Consultant coach MG Roscher echoed his sentiments, saying, “The team is getting better each week. They played very well on attack and defence. We worked hard on our game plan and defence and the hard work paid off.”

The third team lost 31-12 to SKZN Development. The third team’s made up of mostly veterans who’re preparing for a golden oldies tournament at the end of the year.

This week will see the Warriors host UKZN Howard College on Friday night.

The second teams will face-off at 7pm followed by the first XV clash at 8.30pm.

The third team hit the road to tackle Ixopo on Saturday at 3.30pm.

Leave a Reply