750 ml flour
5 ml salt
125 g butter — cold, cubed
125 ml milk
oil — basil infused
20 g fresh basil — shredded
1 chicken — cooked, deboned, skinned and shredded
125 ml sun-dried tomatoes — chopped
2 feta cheese — roughly crumbled
150g g mozzarella cheese — grated
lemon — zested
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 eggs — yolks only, whisked
Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a baking sheet with baking paper.
1. Pastry: Put the flour and salt in the bowl of a food processor, add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles bread-crumbs.
2. Add the egg and half the milk and pulse until the dough starts to bind. Add the rest of the milk little by little until a dough forms. Remove the dough and knead lightly. Shape into a ball, cover with cling film and chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
3. Basil oil: Put the basil and olive oil in a small saucepan. Heat over a low heat until bubbles start forming around the basil. Re-move from the stove and set aside to cool completely.
4. Filling: Combine the ingredients well. Add 60ml (¼c) of the cooled basil oil and mix.
5. Assembly Roll out the pastry on a floured surface to about 2mm thick. Using a cookie cutter, cut into 10cm rounds.
6. Brush a little egg yolk around the edge of each pastry round. Spoon filling into the middle and fold the pastry over to form halfmoon-shaped pastries. Fold in the edges and pinch to seal.
7. Arrange the empanadas on the prepared baking sheet and brush lightly with egg yolk. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown and done. Serve with the rest of the basil oil for dipping
Article written by: Food24
Photo credit: Food24